Monday, December 14, 2009

New Calling

Yesterday was my first day as Nursery Coordinator, and let me tell you, it's a lot more work than you think! We have to:
  • find parents of crying and stinky kids (biggest challenge for me since I've been in Primary the past year and don't know anyone!)
  • buy and prepare snacks
  • wash sippy cups
  • clean the toys (every ward takes turns, and guess whose turn it was yesterday afternoon for almost two hours? and that was with the teachers' help!)
  • set up the rooms with tables and chairs
  • put everything away after church
  • make copies for and give supplies to teachers
  • find substitutes
  • update the roll lists (we have just as much turnover as a BYU ward)
  • assign kids to classes
  • help out teachers in any way needed

I will be busy, busy, busy every Sunday for two hours. The other coordinator, Primary first counselor, and I are meeting Wednesday morning to organize everything. And we're hoping for a third coordinator.

I don't mind this new calling at all, but I must admit that I am disappointed that I still won't be going to Sunday School or Relief Society for who knows how long.

I have now realized the real world is not BYU. At BYU I had multiple opportunites for spiritual involvement and personal development: devotionals, religion classes, service activities, religious literature and media everywhere, lots of ward and stake activities, etc. The environment is clean and uplifting, and the people are happy and strong.

Now I am basically on my own. I don't even have church to fall back on anymore for adult interaction. I didn't realize how important they were to my spirituality until they were taken away. This realization has motivated me to start doing visiting teaching again, to start my unsuccessful Mormon Light blog, and to be better about FHE, personal scripture study, and temple attendance. But I really can't wait to attend those meetings again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you want adult interaction- invite a couple to your fhe - also contact your adult parents once in a blue moon and also remember that me and mom both worked in the nursery and i subbed for primary for yrs- it's fun to get out of the adult world for awhile- you'll have years and years and years of r/s and mia and you'll reflect back on this time a s a great growth experience- besides- God is prepapring you for motherhood and patience! and you Mormon blog is great
DAD

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

I know what you feel like. It is quite a wake up call leaving a byu ward. I miss relief society, but then again all the younger couples are in primary anyway

Amy said...

i read your mormon light blog!! :D