Monday, December 7, 2009

Goodbye, Sunbeams

Yesterday was our last day teaching Sunbeams. We found out right before going to Primary. Justin's new calling is Deacon's Quorum Advisor, and I am now a nursery coordinator (not sure what that is--something about bringing the snacks). I don't know if this means I will be in nursery or if I will get to go to Sunday School and Relief Society. I'll let you know when I call to find out! Our ward isn't very good about preparing you for callings; they kind of just throw you to the lions, like they did that fateful Sunday they called us to teach Sunbeams.

Anyway, here are some funny things our kids have said and done throughout the year:
  1. Jacob, the most innocent-minded kid, showed me a small circle on the paper he was coloring and said, "Look! He has a penis!"
  2. Another time he walked into class and I asked him how he was doing. He replied very seriously, "Yesterday I had diarrhea." I laughed, which surprised him, so I made a straight face and told him I was glad he was feeling better.
  3. Early in the year Jacob grabbed a girl's hand and said they were going to be best friends. Then a couple weeks ago he did the same thing to a boy. I was surprised that particular boy let him!
  4. Charly, the little girl whose hand Jacob grabbed, was the Little Miss Perfect/tattletale in our class. One Sunday we took a walk down the halls to the foyer. Some boys climbed on the couches and she said, "You're not supposed to put your shoes on the couch!"
  5. Another day, out of nowhere, Charly boastingly said to me, "My dad is stronger than your-- [pause as she looked at Justin] than him!"
  6. Benson was the shy, very quiet boy in the class. One Sunday his mom helped me out since Justin was sick, and I sent her a thank-you card in the mail. She later told me Benson carried it around the house with him all that day! I think he had a crush on me. haha.
  7. Parker is the craziest handful, but extremely funny. He likes to eat his boogers and tell us to eat them too. He always smacks himself, falls off his chair, and hurts himself in some way. He also is very opinionated. He was sitting on Justin's lap one day and felt his beard stubble. "Ouch! That's sharp. Next week I don't want sharp!" The next week he felt my chin: "Is this one sharp? Nope, not sharp!"
  8. Just yesterday, William lost his tooth in the middle of Primary. I gave it to his mother, who took him away for a while to make sure he was ok. He came back and sat down looking really sad. "Are you ok?" I asked him. He gave me the most defeated look and said, "I have to go to the doctor."
  9. Sam is the one with a halo held up by devil horns. He can be sweet and reverent one second and bratty and rebellious the next. Last week I had the scriptures hidden under Justin's coat and I asked the kids to guess what was hidden. Sam shouted out, "Skateboards!" I answered no and gave a clue: "It's kinda hard." "Oh!" Sam shouted again. "Then it's a coconut!" I tried one last time: "It's something you read." Sam got it. "The scriptures!"
  10. The other Sunbeam class has a really cute girl, who, when asked what kind of mom she wants to be, said, "A doctor!"
There have been 7 other kids in our class throughout this year, for a total of 13 kids we've taught (the most being 10 at once; we ended with 9), but I can't remember anything funny they said. I will miss them all--their sweet smiles, energy, excitement, and eagerness to pray and help out. But I definitely won't miss all the crankiness, brattiness, and hyperness!

4 comments:

Lissy said...

So so fun - I bet you are the best teacher. That is so cute about the thank you card!

Julie said...

Haha! Little kids are so hilarious!

Mary Killion said...

hahaha Those were too funny to read! Kids are crazy sometimes! I'm still laughing! Good luck with your new callings :)

Anonymous said...

cute anecdotes- sorry about your change in calling- did they replace you immediately? I would hope you could finish the year out with them but not with nursery at the same time - DAD
sorry I had to find out here :(