Monday, September 6, 2010

Last Bit before Baby

August 14 was my baby shower in AZ, hosted by my friend Cherise. We decorated with a cute Noah's ark theme because we got all the stuff on clearance at my work (Party City). It was a small party with ladies from church. We had a diaper-changing race with different types of cloth diapers, a trivia quiz (which I won thanks to some questions being used for Jeopardy at my shower in CA), gifts (a lot of monkey stuff), and a quiz Justin filled out whose answers I had to guess. Photos are on Facebook. After the shower, Justin and I went to the temple for the last time before Caden got here and did sealings.

My last day of work was the 6th. My managers gave me gifts and a little Tinkerbell cake and tried in vain to convince me to stay. I admit I was sad to leave right when Halloween season was starting, but I do not regret my decision to quit for good. I did consider staying one more week, and I am so glad I did not because I would not have lasted another day!

We have been blessed so much these last few months. Justin was laid off for the summer, and I only worked part-time, so we survived doing more research studies. Justin's parents found us a second car in WI for a great deal (we looked in AZ as well) and drove it down here. It's a white 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. The air conditioning works and the windows are tinted. So happy! The only thing I don't like about it is the small trunk since it is the car we will be using for outings with Baby and road trips.

Other blessings: getting the crib and dresser on sale at IKEA, finding a baby bathtub on freecycle, finally buying an affordable futon frame from craigslist, getting a free car seat (jungle themed, no less) from the hospital and a free bookcase from a neighbor, inheriting free carpet from a friend who moved, and finding a jungle-themed crib bumper at the thrift store for $2.50. The Lord (and my Grandma) is watching over us.

In other news, my family is finally leaving San Marcos and moving to Lake Elsinore. Justin was called to be the Scoutmaster and 2nd counselor in the YM presidency. His brother is getting married in October. Wasn't expecting that! Typical Mormon story: met in the singles ward, dated less than two months before proposing, getting married two months later. I am a little apprehensive about traveling--both on a plane and on the road--with an infant. Any advice?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so good to see the Lord's hand in all things, great and small. Thanks for sharing your blessings, it helps me to look for all the blessings great and small in my life too! Again, congratulations :)

Mrs. Sanchez said...

Lots of blessings!! I'm so glad to see that everything came together. From my point of view, it seems like you have had so much trust throughout this journey. I think in many ways, I would have been so stressed in that situation and at least from afar, it appears you have handled it with grace and trust.

Love you girl and loved reading this!!!

Jessica said...

Traveling with an infant that little is actually not that bad. They sleep so much and don't have a set schedule quite yet of when they HAVE to sleep and sleep in their own bed. If your cute baby sleeps well in his infant carseat/carrier, then you'll be good.