Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Best Deal Ever!

I'm doing cloth diapering with Caden to save money. I don't mind it, but Caden goes through so many diapers and covers a day I have to do laundry all the time! We were going to go back to the store to buy more supplies to lessen the load. I didn't want to spend so much money again, so I thought to look at other sources first. I checked out etsy since that's where I bought pail liners and wet bags. I could only find AIOs and frilly covers for disposable diapers; I needed plastic covers. I tried craigslist and found a lot of different options. I contacted some people and got no reply. I tried one last listing, the most expensive and extensive, that was posted over a month ago: my favorite diapers and other accessories all for $100. The items were still available. Score! The only drawback was that I had to purchase everything. It was a great deal, but finances are tight. I talked to Justin and we decided to go for it. I haggled the price down to $90. Here's what I got:

  • 12 Kissaluv diapers: I love these so much! They are soft, don't easily stain, and fit perfectly.
  • 3 Bummis covers: I don't like them. It seems as if no matter how much I layer, Caden's pee always leaks through. I've discovered that using a Bum Genius insert with a prefold works best because the insert soaks up a lot. But I only have so many!
  • 3 Bum Genius covers, inserts, and doublers: Love these! As noted, the inserts and doublers hold a lot. I use the diapers as covers instead of pocket diapers so I can reuse them since Caden goes through the Bummis covers like nothing. I used one Bum Genius for a whole day!
  • Pail liner: Don't really like it, but who cares when it's just holding poopy diapers?
  • Wet bag: Larger than the two I already have, so that's good. And it's cute!
And the best part is that only 4 diapers were used (no stains); the rest are all brand new! Seriously, best deal ever! The wife spent over $300 on everything. Her husband (the seller) was not happy when she decided cloth diapering was not for her. And I got it all for less than I spent on 6 plastic covers, 2 diapers, and 3 Snappis--on sale! I am so proud of my bargain shopping skills, haha.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh man, I can't believe you are using cloth diapers. That would be so hard for me. Do you use disposable and cloth or just cloth? I would not have the patience. But you go girl!

Julie said...

Cloth is so much easier than I was expecting. We used gdiapers (expensive...but SO cute!) while she was teeny tiny little. When she started fitting into size 2 disposables she finally fit into our kawaii baby diapers (knock off bumgenius). Plus, she hardly ever gets rashes with cloth! I may just have to make a post about our cloth diapering experience now...

Reese said...

SCORE! Nice work mama! The best part is you can turn around and sell them when your done with them! Honestly, I rarely hear of/find a deal that good for unused dipes!!
BTW - the covers only leak if there isn't enough absorbency - use your prefolds as doublers!

Mrs. Sanchez said...

I'm jealous!!! That sounds like a GREAT deal. We were thinking of doing cloth diapering (when we get there) as well. Sounds like there are lots of positives and only ickiness/lots of washing as a downside.

Love you!!!

Alex said...

Good job! I found my cloth diapers on Craigslist too! I got a load of Bum Genius One Size. A few had loose elastic, but it was super easy to fix!

I recommend becoming a fan of cotton babies/bum genius on facebook because they do giveaways every once and a while and they let you know about sales. Cotton babies has a 'seconds' sale every once and a while too on diapers with minor cosmetic flaws, a great way to get cheaper diapers.

Janae Wallace said...

Gabby just ran out of diapers the size she wears so I decided to finally try out the box of cloths that my friend sent me and I had to change the first poopy one today! And honestly...it wasn't that bad. And I didn't even have a disposable liner. Yay!