Although I planned for a natural childbirth, I had a C-section (separate post about the birth story coming).
The first few days were hard because it was painful to move. I always slept in an upright position, I had to have help getting in and out of bed, and I walked really slow. Walking returned to normal quickly, but too much walking hurts my tummy. A few days ago I was finally able to sleep on my back or side, get in and out of bed by myself, and bend over. Usually my stomach is nothing more than sore, but sometimes I get sharp pains. The incision is healing nicely and is barely visible. My recovery overall has been a lot easier and quicker than I expected.
My tummy size is slowly going down, but I still look pregnant. In fact, the other day a cashier asked me how far along I was. Lucky for her I just had a baby and I wasn't just fat! The reality is I have less than 10 lbs. to lose to get back to my normal weight. My highest pregnancy weight was 143, though my last weigh-in was at 142 (less swelling). My belly button looks like a crater now, a lot deeper than it used to be. I went all nine months without a single stretch mark on my stomach! The only ones I have are small, light ones on the sides of my thighs. I still have that long, dark line running down my tummy, though.
The swelling in my feet and ankles is gone; however, I still cannot wear my wedding and CTR rings. The acne has disappeared too, thank goodness! I've gained cleavage and a cup and band size. Breastfeeding has taken over my life. We're still struggling, but each day there's progress. I started using a nipple shield in the hospital and am now trying to wean Caden off of it. I love watching him nurse: he either looks all around suspiciously, as if someone were going to steal his milk; has a grouchy face; or closes his eyes. He sucks really hard and loud--causing him to take frequent breaks to catch his breath--and sometimes chomps, though not nearly as much as he did his first few days of life. He burps a lot and loudly and likes to poop while eating. I love when he puts his little hands on my chest and falls asleep on me.
I definitely have baby blues. My hormones are crazy. I wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, but get cold when the air conditioning kicks in. I cry easily and I am overwhelmed with the constant nursing and interrupted sleep. Despite the frustrations, I love being a mom and I love my baby with all my heart. Who wouldn't love a cuddly cutie like Caden?
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh sweetheart!! Your baby is SO Handsome and so alert! Congratulations on becoming a mother! It is completely life altering, huh? Your whole perspective on life changes. What you thought were "musts" before, like a full night sleep, you learn to live without and it become normal (just like sleep was ;-). It is all SOOOO rewarding though. My biggest postpartum challenge was deciphering between what was right and what was actually me being selfish. It is really hard to tell sometimes because what was normal and fine before baby can often become selfish after baby. Maybe that was just me. But my greatest help was perspective. Remembering that Heavenly Father has entrusted ME with a beautiful child of His. That baby will only be a baby once in all eternity and I could cherish every second and make every offering and sacrifice of myself necessary to do what was best for him. Once I thought that then It all started to make more sense. All the hard adjustments (which are many if you ask me!) all just fell to the side and become a new way of life. I gave up the "before baby life" as it were and I was happy with that choice. You are not alone in postpartum life and you are very loved by many. Love ya girl!
Hang in there! Give yourself time to create a routine and then you'll be good to go! Oh, and as for the hormones, I've heard that having a C-section messes with your hormones even more than having a vaginal birth! So don't worry, it will get better!
All that is totally normal! :) Hang in there with breastfeeding. Collin and I used a nipple shield for about 3 weeks. Then slowly I would use it just to get him latched on and then take it off after a minute and latch him on by himself. For some reason that was easier. After he was about 4 or 5 weeks we were able to latch on by ourselves! :). It seems like a long trying thing at first, but after a few weeks you wake up and realize it's not as challenging as it was just yesterday. And as I'm sure you're already discovering, it is so rewarding. I nursed Collin up to a couple weeks after he turned one and I have to admit it made me sad when he decided he was done. I still miss it sometimes. Anyway, the crying thing - totally understand that. I just used to sit on the couch with Collin in my arms and look at Brenden and Collin and just start crying because I loved them both so much. ha ha and if I wasn't crying about how much I loved him I was crying about breastfeeding. That goes away too after a couple weeks. Don't worry :). You're doing great and I can tell you are such a loving and wonderful mommy!
And your friend above is so right too...once you get that routine down, you feel like supermom! :). I don't think I got one down until about 8 weeks, and it came slowly, but that's how it should be. Don't stress yourself out and like Sara said, enjoy every second. Because really, this is our one chance to have them as tiny babies. They will never be like that again....even when they're still our children in the eternities. You're doing great!
It's crazy to have so many emotions after having a baby. I'm sure you're doing great! Each day it will get a little bit easier. And before you know it, you'll look back and wonder what was so hard about it all!
Caden sure is a cutie!
I'm so amazed at your honesty and acceptance through this whole process. You are such an amazing woman, and taking the challenges in stride. I LOVE seeing your pictures, loving on that sweet little boy!
Hang in there, it gets easier!!
I just want to say thanks for your complete honesty! It's so refreshing to know that it isn't always easy and perfect, even though the little one is worth it. :)
I don't know if it's baby blues as much as sleep deprivation that you are suffering from. If you are feeling really depressed and finding it hard to have a desire to do anything, cry for no reason other than you feel like it, then I would say that is the baby blues. Either way, don't forget to take care of you. You can get through this!
Post a Comment