Once Caden was put on my chest, we established breastfeeding right away. He did the breast crawl to my right breast and opened his mouth. He didn't latch on by himself, so I helped him. Breastfeeding was a struggle. It hurt really badly, even when he latched on correctly. We had help from nurses, my doulas, and the lactation consultant. I started using a nipple shield a couple days later and we've been using it since then. Weaning him off it has been difficult. He fights me (even with it on, but not as much) until he remembers to suck and realizes milk is coming out. He is as stubborn as his mama!
Anyway, the Saturday he was born I was so tired I slept all day. Not soundly, of course. It was impossible to get more than 2 hours at a time--if even that much--due to all the interruptions from my nurses, Caden's nurses, doctors, meal deliveries, housecleaning, other staff, visitors (my doulas and my awesome home teacher and his wife), and loud neighbors. The meals were gross: I started with a liquid-only diet and was sick of jello by the end of the day. Once I could eat solids, the meals were slightly better.
Life in the hospital was b-o-r-i-n-g. All I did was nap, feed Caden (Justin changed his diapers), watch TV, and read the Ensign. Once I could walk without too much pain, we pushed Caden's bassinet around the hallway. I was so happy when Monday came and we could go home! Until the pediatrician said that Caden lost too much weight (9 percent; 10 is bad) and would need to stay another night for observation. I was sad we couldn't go home and I was worried about Caden. I was officially discharged but allowed to stay. They gave me my various meds and looked at my scar. The doctor removed the bandage, and let me just say that I am never getting anything down there waxed because that was bad enough! It happened again at my two-week checkup. Ouch. At least I had disposable stitches and glue.
Monday night was a miracle. It was as if Caden knew he had to pass a test the next day. He ate all night, even once for two hours straight with only a burp and a diaper break! They weighed him in the morning and he had gained an ounce, clearance for us to go home. He is now over seven pounds.
My mom arrived that morning and came home with us. Happy day! She stayed for almost a week and cooked meals for us. There wasn't much else for her to do since neither Justin nor I are in school or are working and we have no other children, so she got to relax, which she needed. It was great just having her there for moral support (everything's better when Mom is there) and to hold Caden so I could sleep.
As for his name, Caden wasn't officially named until that Monday. We thought we would know right upon seeing him, but he looked like both options: Caden Arthur or Michael Keichi. The middle names are after Justin's grandpa, Arthur Keichi (Arthur is also Justin's middle name). We always planned to name the baby after his great-grandpa, and good thing we did: he was born on his great-grandpa's birthday! We didn't even know until we called Justin's parents. How funny. After getting to know the baby after a few days, we decided he was definitely a Caden. It still wasn't my favorite name, but I knew it was right for him. It has since grown on me. I love my little Caden Arthur!




3 comments:
that is so funny that he was born on his great-grandpa's b-day, because Jamie's Grayson was born on his great-grandma's birthday (my mom) Must run in the family.
I am sure these journal entries will be so precious to you as Caden grows up and you are able to look back at your feelings soon after he was born.
Thank you also for being honest and giving us some insight into your experience. Since I haven't had a baby yet and haven't been close to anyone who has in recollection, there are a lot of questions about how this stuff works. Also it helps me understand a little better where you are coming from.
When you told me on the phone that Caden fed all night before release, I didn't realize what a miracle that was or what a smart boy he is.
I can't wait to meet him and see why Caden fits him best as a name.
Gabby was born on my grandparent's anniversary :) That made it really special and my dad was so happy. I bet it made Justin's parents super happy that Caden was born on that day! He's so adorable :)
Post a Comment