- The customer is not always right in retail. If they're planning a wedding or getting a haircut, then yes, they are right, because those things are a matter of personal opinion. Even so, wedding planners and hair stylists are there to give advice. For my job, there is nothing to be right about. We either have something or we don't. The return policy is the same. Sizes vary according to costume. The end.
- I know exactly how customers feel--I am one! As I wrote in the post, this is my first time on the other side of the fence. Now I understand how workers feel and I try to be a nicer shopper. That's all I was saying.
- People really are stupid. Other customers admit it too when they see someone do or say something really dumb. In fact, one lady even apologized to me later after we had a misunderstanding.
- I am very patient and polite with customers, so much so that I sell a lot, am given lots of compliments from customers, and was even offered a tip once. I wrote the blog to vent to my friends instead of yelling at customers. I wasn't expecting such unsympathetic replies.
Friday, October 30, 2009
Quick Rebuttal
For all those who commented on my rant and rave post about customers:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I have sympathy for you and won't give you any "suggestions"! Retail sucks. Hope things get better!
I worked at hollister for a year. We had a standard (corporate) policy that we could not ever remove ANYTHING from a mannequin unless we were changing the floor sets... I had a man drive all the way from St George to get a specific jacket he'd seen on the website (why not just order it off the internet?! But whatever) but we only had one left. And, you guessed it! It was on a mannequin. Couldn't take it off. He started yelling at me in the store. I was so irritated - I explained to him the policy and that there was nothing I could do about it and he STILL freaked out!
People are just plain hateful. It's one thing to have the "customer is always right" attitude - it's another to act entitled, have a "holier than thou" attitude, treat the employee like they are a slave, or that it's their job to pick up after the customer and take his bad attitude.
I COMPLETELY sympathize with you.
I agree with you too Francesca! I worked at CVS Pharmacy as a store clerk when I was 16. A guy freaked out at me once because he bought some wine and I couldn't scan it through because I was under 21 and had to get my manager. After he saw how upset he made me, he apologized, but seriously, it was the LAW. People are stupid sometimes.
Awwww, thanks guys! You made me feel much better. :0)
Right on! Those comments were harsh. The customer is definitely NOT always right and I'm sure you handle yourself at work with grace even if you need to let off some steam in your personal time.
I agree with Francine and also with these ladies too. there is a delicate balance between customer service and ridiculous beahvior on the client's part. That is why for many years you have seen the sign in shops all over- we have the right to refuse service to anyone.
still the lord's way is to diffuse anger with love- we don't know what deeper stuff the person went through that day with losing their home, loved one, job, got called stupid by some other clerk, went to st george and had pretty Sarah tell them no- not off the mannequin! -DAD
Post a Comment