Monday, October 5, 2009

It's Autumn Time!


On October 1, I took out all my autumn decorations. So exciting! The wreath above I got for $3 at Goodwill. Isn't it cute? I love the colors. The turkey below I got at the BYU bookstore sophomore year of college. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!


The leaf candy dish I also got at Goodwill. The little acorn man and "Count Blessings" jar came from the BYU bookstore. If I had more money, I would buy all the cute stuff on sale at my work (Party City).


So, why do I love fall so much?
  1. The colors: While in Utah, I really got to experience the fullness of fall, with the green summer trees changing to fiery reds, oranges, and yellows. It's beautiful! Leaves are so lovely. They have a unique shape and a satisfying crunch. And when they all fall off, the trees look spooky and mysterious.
  2. The weather: Fall is cool and crisp, but not too cold. I love wearing cozy sweaters and cute jackets. Here in AZ, summer clothes are still in effect. But it's cooler in the mornings and evenings, which means more opportunities to go running. If we weren't in AZ, it would also mean hot chocolate, warm blankets, and blazing fires.
  3. The food: I admit I've been using the oven all summer, and we had soup and muffins last week, but now I can do more! I love pumpkins, squash, corn, and other fall harvest foods. And turkey, of course. Pumpkin is my favorite though: bread, muffins, pancakes, pies, fritters, cookies, seeds, etc.
  4. The holidays: Halloween is so much fun, with costumes, pumpkin carving, corn mazes, and candy. I'm bummed I have to work that day (and every weekend this month)--no handing out candy and going to parties for me. And I'm most likely going to be alone that whole weekend, because Justin will be in Vegas with his family visiting his sick grandma. Hopefully, we'll be able to go to my home for Thanksgiving. I haven't missed one yet! I love cooking everything with my mom, getting stuffed on delicious food, doing the turkey wobble (a Caruso tradition) with all the kids, and hanging out with the family.

The only things I don't like about autumn time are football, haunted houses, horror films and decorations, and wind. But the good things far outweigh the bad! I leave you with a photo of the luminous harvest moon behind wispy, dark clouds. Happy fall!

3 comments:

Mrs. Sanchez said...

Cheski, your enthusiasm for Fall is contagious. (Even though I love it too!!) I really like your Welcome sign and the little nutman. Absolutely adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Fall is the best season of the year, no matter where you live.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I love the weather right now and we sure miss you- we are very much hoping that you come again for Thanksgiving- your dishes are superb-DAD
p.s. my prayers are for Justin's family