Last night was a Relief Society holiday exchange night. Everyone was invited to bring a holiday craft or recipe to share with others. Because I am in Nursery, I wasn't informed until this week, and therefore had limited time and resources to use. I had already searched online for easy ornament crafts and found some cute ones on Disney's Family Fun site. I decided to make one of the kid-friendly, cheap crafts for that night since there are so many kids in our ward--perfect family activity, I thought. I chose the retro ornament, or cardboard snowflake as I called it, because it was the only one I had all the supplies for. Here is the photo from the site:
They're just cardboard tubes threaded on pipe cleaners. I only had plain white, not glittery, pipe cleaners, but I amped up the tubes by covering them in wintery paper. Mine doesn't even look like the photo above, though in my defense, I had to make it really fast! If I had had more time, I would have done multiple colors and evened out the spacing.
I felt a little silly displaying my craft next to all the other fancy ones, but I tried not to think about it. The night was really fun. We started with talking about being grateful and shared family holiday traditions. Then we browsed the crafts and treats and took copies of the ones we liked. We chatted for a long time. Caden did great in the kids' class. He didn't cry for me; in fact, he didn't want to leave. When it was time to go, I got my craft and noticed the large stack of copies still there. I don't think anyone took a copy, except for me to use for future reference. I was very hurt. Yeah, it wasn't amazing, even for a kid craft, but I thought maybe someone would like it for their kids since it was so easy and cheap. I guess not.
I got home and started blogging about it to vent my feelings while Caden played in the bathtub. Then Justin got home as I started to wash Caden and asked me how it went. I leaned against the tub and burst into tears. Poor Justin handled it very well.
Sometimes I feel that the women (and even some men) in our church put too much value on sewing and crafting ability, making unskilled people like me feel inferior. I feel as if my worth is lower in their eyes because I can't do those things. (I wrote about it on my LDS blog a while ago.)
I try to do what I can and share it, but still feel silly because no one appreciates the attempt. That's why I love kid crafts so much. Kids don't care; they don't have expectations or pretentions. They can have fun making anything out of junk, which I'm good at (also blogged about that a couple years ago). That's not to say that I'm not trying to learn, just that I'm slow at it and can't create things on my own. For that reason, I didn't want to bring anything, but I decided that participating was more important. Kind of regret that now.
I feel silly too for feeling this way, but those feelings are very real. I'm not looking for sympathy or pity. Just want to remind you crafty girls to be patient with and understanding toward us artistically challenged women!
Friday, November 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Homemade ornaments - especially the imperfect ones kids make are my favorite because of the fun memories attached. I think all of us have ideas about things we are less than perfect at and how other people might be judging us, but I've found out that most of the time other people aren't even thinking about whatever our hang up is. You never know but what some ladies at the event wrote down the info to look it up online not wanting an extra paper in their house... Just don't let it get you down, because it's rarely as bad as you think :) I know the feeling though and wish I could give you a hug!
We all have our talents, in fact, I can think of one of yours that is awesome-- your skill in and love of writing (especially when it comes to the gospel)! Churchy things are something that I tiptoe around on my blog because I just don't feel like I know how to write them down and make them sound nice and pretty.
I think that while it is nice to have crafty skills, the whole point of having a place for them in RS activities is to share and teach. Too often, it turns into showcase.
Being crafty really isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I have one talent that so happens to be a very visual one, and so people think I am "so talented". Don't fall into this. It's such a lie. Like the ladies said above, you have greater talents that will prove to be far more worth being able to make super cutesy crafts that really serve no purpose. And I envy that. And way to go on going out of your comfort zone to be a part of RS, that takes guts. I bet 99% of people in your shoes wouldn't have even tried.
Dear Cheski,
I would take that ornament you made!
I'll see you in 5 days! Can't wait for all the fun stuff we will be doing this week! I love you! Tell Caden Hi for me!
Love,
Constance
Mom would not have gone since she feels like you do as far her not being crafty. she said you should have bought a pint of ice cream for comfort -she said j/k
I think it's good that you have some things you can't do otherwise you would be with the City Of Enoch and I would never be your Dad
Ok so, I just typed a really long comment and it all got erased somehow.. boo. Let me try that again;
Oh franchesca! I am so sorry you felt that way! I know exactly how you feel. I love your snowflake! Even better than the one you copies. Plus, I love all things having anything to do with toilet paper, hence the pumpkins. ;)
Im sure the only reason no one took the instructions was because they could tell how to do it just by looking at it, because seriously, its adorable!
I completly agree with all other said comments, you have an amazing talent of writing! Hum.. hello! You have published work, that's amazing! Plus you are so smart, and know how to teach in way that is simple and easy to understand. AND you are so super organized and giving, I don't know how you keep up with all our nurseries!
I love you sister! Be happy and proud of yourself, there are many things you can do that others wish they could!
First, can I just say something good about you real quick? cause that's the best thing to hear when you're feeling yucky.
A couple weeks ago I sat behind you in church and felt very inspired to be like you. You're always smiling and super nice and I felt like I used to be like that and it has faded. So I made a resolution to smile more. So thank you for being a good example to me :)
Second, being a crafty person, I can say this in all honesty: Crafting is in the tweeking. wierd, yes, but true. Everyone can do the exact same thing and have it turn out a million different ways. if you don't like it, tweek it until you do. you recognized and pointed out things you'd do differently, so I know you have the ability. It just takes practice.
Thirdly (this IS a word, right? ha ha), I TOTALLY agree about too much perceived value being put on crafting, however, it's still fun every once in a while as long as you don't take yourself too seriously.
And last- I would put your ornament on my christmas tree :) I'll have my kids make some for our tree just for the principle of it :)
i have a million crafty projects that NEVER turn out and i've been so discourage over them. Brigg has always been so kind and told me to keep trying until i get it right or find something i'm good at or like doing. From what I remember about you (sadly it's been a while) you are an AMAZING writer. I love reading your blog because of how you write your feelings so well. You inspire me to write better. Besides, not everyone needs to sew or craft. I fake it most of the time and it works for me. And I love your ornament. I can't wait to do those kind of crafts with my kids when they are older.
Post a Comment