Friday, June 19, 2009
Recycle Queen
I've noticed that lately my eHow articles have been about reusing random stuff. Others write about how to do cute crafts and make things for the home and garden, things I don't know how to do. What can I say? It's how I grew up; blame my mother. We always found ways to reuse and recycle things. Almost everything I write about, we did: we had a craft box full of junk, we had a pile of scrap paper for coloring, we used plastic cups and bottles as bath toys, and we used old socks for cleaning. My mom's not crafty, and neither am I--except when it comes to junk, apparently. Sometimes I get jealous of you women out there who can sew your own things, make creative stuff to sell on Etsy, and decorate your homes with homemade crafts. And all I can brag about is "Look! I made [insert object] out of recycled [insert object]!" or "Ninety-nine percent of my decorations come from the thrift store!" Ok, so obviously I'm a little embarrassed that I know how to save money on toys by giving my kids recycled things to play with. (That's what my mom did, and I loved it! But times are different, and I'm afraid my kids will think I'm a cheap loser.) But, honestly, I think there is so much potential with everyday things. Maybe if I were more craftsy and knew how to do cooler things than make games out of recyclable junk then I would feel better. Coming up with my own ideas is very hard for me, though; I can only copycat. How do you women do it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I definitely have to say that making old stuff into "new" stuff is super creative. And who cares if people think you're cheap!
I think kids today get way too much stuff--like getting gifts in easter baskets!? What is that all about? We got jelly beans and hunted for hard-boiled eggs! haha. They need to see the joy in everyday things.
One last comment--I love thrift stores too! It might take longer to find what you want, but no one else is going to have the same exact thing as you and especially not for how much you payed for it!
So, in a nutshell you are awesome in your own way! =)
I think it's great that you're resourceful and good at re-using! I'm one of those artsy-craftsy people... and I have a big problem with throwing things in the trash... in combination with purchasing all of the supplies for my creative endeavors new at the store. I think I could learn a thing or two from you. Maybe we should team up!!
seriously cheski, i just want to ECHO the above comments.. so true! you keep at it girl! (:
I am RECYCLING what everyone else said, lol. Ok, that's totally lame and doesn't even fit. You know, I'm a nerd, anyways...
I grew up using socks for cleaning and some of those tips too. Seriously, we were not as thrifty as you were and I loved reading your articles, def. amazing.
But, I will tell you that when I have kids I WILL be using more things from your articles. Not just because it is cost effective, but because it teaches your kids so much more than always buying new gadgets. Materialism isn't good for any of us. If they can have fun being frugal and creative and imaginative, they will be so much better off than always having new, new, new. Ooh girl, I have a play date story with a 4 year old who was so wrapped up in toys it was just appalling. She NEEDS you, Recycling Queen!! oh, and I hope your articles do well. I don't have any more Home and Garden left in me. We need a new topic for contests.
mom just bought me a brand new designer white shirt for 3.99. she spent 12 bucks at the thrift store getting new and nearly new stuff.
mom has me recycling things every week. she is amazing to me. you are a great person.
love dad
Post a Comment