Friday, August 26, 2011

On His Own

Caden fell asleep on his own today accidentally. He was in the crib for his third timeout this morning for removing the safety plugs from the electrical outlets (he had total of six all day). Normally, I would keep him there just for a few minutes before taking him out. This time I waited longer because I was so tired. Caden didn't go to sleep until 11 p.m. last night, and even though he didn't wake up until 8:30 a.m. (not straight through, of course; the stupid A/C woke him up), I was still exhausted. So I plopped on the couch and fell asleep. Caden's random frustrated cries woke me up every now and then, but I didn't have the energy to get up. Eventually, I didn't hear him anymore. I slept a little longer and then got up. It had been 45 minutes since I put him in the crib! I checked on him, and sure enough, he was asleep. He woke up about 30 minutes later, but I nursed him back to sleep in our bed and he slept for another hour and a half.

Since his cries were just little shouts for my attention and not meltdown sobs, I might do this more often!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm a big fan of letting them learn to self-soothe. I'm glad you were able to get a little extra rest.

Anonymous said...

motherhood sure is on the job training even though you get lots of experienced good advice from many sources it still is not always universal pat solutions that work on every child-DAD