Monday, July 4, 2011

New House

When we renewed our ASU resident parking sticker last July, we ran into trouble requesting one for our second car. Apparently we were listed as being in single-student housing, and single students are only allowed one car. We had to go to the housing office to get proof that we were a family. We were able to get the second sticker, but at the housing office we were informed that we were placed in the wrong area and might have to move. Since I was about to have a baby, we could no longer live within the protective cap (lead in the soil). Apparently, Williams Campus Housing put us in single-student housing because we didn't have a child and did not tell us we would have to move when we did have one. If they had, I would have requested a different home since we knew we were going to try that year. After I got pregnant, ASU took over housing. Ever since then, everything has gone down the toilet, and WCH was bad enough to begin with (though ASU should have been monitoring them). Anyway, a lady told us she would check out the situation and call us. She never did, so we assumed everything was ok. I was relieved. I didn't want to move while eight months pregnant or with a newborn. We went on with life, renewed our contract in March with that same lady (and brought the baby), and went on our merry way.

Then at the end of May, Justin got a phone call from the office saying they had done inventory and realized we had a baby and needed to move. We met with a couple ladies, one nice one I knew and another uptight one. The mean one demanded we move immediately because it was a safety issue. I was M-A-D. Really? She dare ask us to start packing that same day? It was their mistake to begin with! We asked if we could wait a few weeks until Justin's family was in town to help us. She said no. The nice one said she would call their superiors and ask. They said yes. So at the end of the month, Justin's brother, sister-in-law, and father helped us move everything to our new home, and Caden miraculously took two 2-hour naps that day. Here's how I feel about the new place.

Positive
  • Same layout (but in the mirror image) and rent
  • Better color: dusty red instead of pale pink
  • Windows can open
  • Front door locks open easier and the door doesn't need to be slammed shut
  • Fridge is quiet
  • Less bugs--so far
  • Bigger backyard with an awning providing shade and a grassy area behind the house (just dirt at the old place)
Negative
  • Windows aren't tinted
  • Washer/dryer hookups are opposite, so the washer and dryer doors hit each other when open
  • Other side of South Desert Village, right next to the construction site, railroad tracks, and busy road (a reminder of ASU's incompetency), and far away from the mailbox, park, and carport (all were right next to our old house) and the outdoor track (ruins my route and timing)
  • Smaller toilet and no cabinet under the sink
  • Very low water pressure in the shower
  • Loose outlets; the plugs either don't stay in all the way or don't get consistent electricity
  • A/C makes a loud noise when it kicks in
Neutral
  • Gas: two bills instead of one (and we had to pay fees to set up the gas and change our electrical account--ASU should have paid!), but it's nice to have a gas stove now, though I got used to electric
  • Different dishwasher. Works just as well as the old one, but I have to figure out the best way to load it (I had a system with the old one--yeah, I'm crazy)
I don't mind the change; I like change. I do mind all the stress, money spent, timing, and drama with ASU. Not happy with their lack of professionalism. I can't wait to be out of here!

4 comments:

Mrs. Sanchez said...

Hi Pretty lady!

Missed you yesterday for 4th of July. We were lucky enough to see you '09 AND '10 Did you get to see any fireworks?

As for the whole ASU housing debacle, I think you should just pack up and come to Southern California. ;)

I love how you are looking at the positives of the apartment as well as the negative. I get so frustrated with incompetence (I think Oscar is actually better than me). I would probably either be in cry mode (it happens) or I-want-to-sue-you mode. Knowing me, both at the same time.

Oscar still hasn't met Caden out of the tummy - this should change. I don't know when we will get out there though. We wanted to go to the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, but I think we are running low on vacation funds this year. If we do, we'll stop by in Mesa for sure!

SENDING LOVE!

Unknown said...

I did not realize that you live on campus! For some reason, (I'm old? I'm crazy?) I thought you lived in the west valley. Huh. Sounds like you and Caden are both getting better, that's good news. And you seem to be settling in to the new place. May the negative points become fewer!

Hugs! Jill

Unknown said...

P.S. I'm Jill Olson from the PGA Golf Management program. :)

Anonymous said...

sorry about the drama and upheaval-DAD