After editing my Facebook friends several times recently and having an upsetting conversation with my father today (not upset with him but with other people), I've decided I am done with Facebook. I just need to download some photos, videos, and notes, and then I'm gone! Of course, that may take a while. I need to figure out how to keep my giveaway page though. Might be tricky. I don't want to have to redo it and lose all my followers.
Just a note to you all: if you don't want people looking at, commenting on, and liking your statuses, links, and photos, then why the heck do you post them? I thought the purpose of Facebook was to share and stay connected. If you have a problem with that, get off Facebook and try something more private! And don't add anybody as your friend just because you met them once. If you don't care about them or they don't care about you, don't add them. Who cares if you offend them; you're obviously not close anyway. And if it is someone close, still only add them if you truly care for them. If they don't reciprocate your efforts to stay close, drop them. That's how I got down to 60 friends today (and I'd like to drop some more). Note, some of you were dropped because I follow your blogs and interact with you much more through them than through Facebook.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
One of the nice things about Facebook is that when you drop friends there is no notification that goes out. I didn't even KNOW I was dropped until reading the blog.
Well, if you start updating statuses again (though sounds like you won't) add me back.
I highly recommend just making your profile pages super private (even if you delete all your friends/photos/links, etc). Right now as a non-friend viewing person I can search you, see your photos, info and profile pic. Maybe you could make yourself searchable with only info showing so people could find your giveaway page and blog.
Sorry you had some frustrating interactions. Good for you for deleting the people you don't need.
Honestly, none of us really NEED Facebook. I think there is a lot more unhealthiness than healthiness there (at least for us who go on frequently).
I agree with your note and will be following you via blog.
Love ya!
By the way I don't think I ever told you have cute your new layout is.
I like it a lot.
I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I've thought about deleting my account too, but it's nice to have my friends and family members current contacts if I need them and to share pictures of my nieces and nephews with the rest of my family so easily. I just can't bring myself to delete it because of that. It's nice to be able to message people from church whose information I couldn't find any other way. I try to just use it sparingly how it is useful to me. Though sometimes I feel like it's a burden to be able to be so connected to so many people - which is why I don't seek out and friend people I don't really know. It's just impossible to have a real relationship with that many people and I think it's healthy to move on and learn to let some friendships go, you just can't let the possibilities technology creates give you unrealistic expectations of how things should be. If we spent all our time poring over and commenting on 400 + people's photos and statuses we wouldn't have much of a life away from a computer. --Anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who gets annoyed with the whole Facebook thing. :)
60 friends?! WOW! That'st amazing... I wish I even had the time to go through my list and start deleting people
I agree with you. I have been going through my home-page on occasion, and the people I don't care to see their updates, I click on the little option to let me hide their updates, that way I only see the updates of close friends and family members. It has helped me to feel like the time I do spend on facebook has been finding out about people's lives that I care about. Then, for the people I still know but don't want to receive the updates, I still have access to them if I need to send them a message or something...
Does that make sense?
Sorry you've had some not-so-great experiences :(
I liked the title of your post--it took me a couple of minutes to even notice!!
I've been thinking about getting rid of Facebook as well... it's not that great of a tool for me anymore. I have a hard time completely getting rid of it for similar reasons that have already been commented, though. I'm currently loving Google's new social networking tool (Google +). It's not a huge marketing ploy, and it's as private (or public) as you want it to be. Plus, it integrates seamlessly with all their other utilities. I can see it being a great thing for helping me stay connected with my blog friends!
Can I just say I TOTALLY agree with you here?!?! I had the same problem (well, I'm not exactly sure what problem you had but it sounds similar) and I posted some of my own thoughts that were totally blown out of proportion and made to be something it was not. And it wasn't like it was a negative comment...I was saying I was proud of my husband for crying out loud! And I had people calling me telling me how I shouldn't rub it in other people's faces who might not have such a nice husband...pathetic. Anyway. I hear ya. Sorry it turned ya off of facebook but hey, think of all the time you'll have now :) I hope everything is going good for you! Sorry for this super long comment :)
I never wanted to go on f/b and when you were the one to start in 2006 from BYu I was uninterested. needless to say it has helped me find childhood and teen friends, long lost cousins, and it has been fun although not every comment is worht reading I try to show respect to people who took the time to speak their mind or from their heart. I have amazingly discovered that many folks that never comment have come up to me and told me about all i did on f/b- so it showed me that many don't comment but they do observe and keep up. it was nice at serveral reunions and wedding receptions to hear people say to you that they are glad I am on f/b with them since they miss us.-DAD
Post a Comment