Yesterday I saw the final Harry Potter movie. I can't believe it's over. The books ended first, and now the movies. No more to look forward to. It's a bittersweet feeling. It's crazy how emotionally invested you can become in a book, especially in a series with film versions that lasted for 14 years. In fact, Harry Potter is the only series I have been so passionate about. I love Narnia too, but I don't get that same feeling of excitement pondering plot intricacies and watching the movies. (I've also realized I have a thing for British authors--besides Rowling and Lewis, add in Agatha Christie, another ultra-successful writer.)
I loved the movie until Harry and Voldemort fought. Not the dramatic ending I was expecting. And you'd think with such great makeup artistry these days, they'd do a better job making the actors really look 19 years older. So for me, about the last 15 minutes were a disappointment. But for the rest of the time, poor Justin's arm was squeezed blue and my eyes were cried red.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
awww, Harry Potter truly ended for me when the last book was written.
I have never felt the same way about the movies as I did the books. We did go see it though. I enjoyed it, but not as much as part 1.
It IS done though. I felt like the Harry Potter craze defined part of our generation. We were a part of it as the age group who started reading the books when they became popular and then saw the movies one by one.
My roommate said the exact same thing about the ending! It's sad that HP has ended, but a relief at the same time.
I totally agree! It was a definitely a bittersweet feeling sitting in the theater waiting to see the last movie! SPOILER WARNING TO OTHER COMMENTERS!! >> I enjoyed it overall, but thought it would have been more powerful if Neville had just pretended to walk over to the dark side and then swung around and killed Nagini right there - they really drew that bit out! And having Harry run off like that rather than just face Voldemort there. Maybe I don't remember the book quite right, but I thought that whole last scene wrapped up much quicker and more powerfully. And the make-up at the end definitely could have been better - they didn't age Ginny at all! On a side note - Mike was disappointed that Harry even ended up with Ginny. I think the books did a good job of making her cool, but the movies did not build up her character or their relationship effectively at all! I mean, tying his shoe and wiping something off his face does not romance make. She was too quiet, not the funny, spirited, cool girl in the book. So sad it's over. J.K. should do a prequel about the Deathly Hallows and Harry's ancestors - don't you think? :)
never read a book nor saw any of it- still survived- DAD
James read them and saw them and he's a fan like you about that
Post a Comment