Monday, July 25, 2011
My Life Is Over
I was transferring files from one USB drive to another and accidentally deleted some file folders. I'm not even sure how many I lost, but it was a lot and most of it was important and irreplaceable. Does anyone know how to recover them? I thought they would go to my laptop's Recycle Bin, but apparently I'm wrong. Please help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
My dad says when you delete a file like that it writes over the first character of the name, so it looks like its deleted, but there are some programs that can find it and recover it.
*He says don't write anything on the USB drive in the mean time. When the first character is written over like that it makes space available for it to be written over.
He said there are lots of programs out there that you can download from the internet. Just do a google search, but he has used these in the past.
FREE UNDELETE 2.0 - can install from the internet. My dad said it has found some things for him in the past. They will find it and recover it for you.
WINUNDELETE_DIRECT - will check and see if the files are out there and then they make you pay $20 to recover it.
My dad said there is more sophisticated stuff that costs hundreds and thousands of dollars that you can recover it real easy. Actually, he said if you want to pay that much hire him (hardy har).
Though if its that important he may be able to do it for you in truth.
Hope you get them recovered. I have lost so many pictures and random things over the years to crashed computers and unbacked up documents. It can be heart breaking.
Unfortunately, I already saved a couple more files after the loss. Hopefully it didn't write over anything important. What I know I lost are all my ehow articles, important church stuff, and some papers from college. The most devastating are the articles.
I've used a free recovery program before with no luck. It's really hit and miss it seems like. But I will try again. Thanks, Francine, for the quick response!
I thought a few times I too had lost stuff while dragging to another location and noticing it wasn't there, only to find it had slipped into a folder below the one or near the one I had meant to move it to. Just a thought. I have been through 2 computer hard drive crashes and know the upset it can cause.
I found a program that worked and was able to recover most of my files (except one extremely important one--won't open. grrrr). I didn't learn my lesson, though. I still moved the recovered, working files back to the same USB drive, thus overwriting some other files I now can't recover (mostly photos, which I'm not too worried about, because they're old ones, meaning most likely on Facebook).
Dustin says to google a software called Recuva. It's free.
That's frustrating! Glad to hear you got most of them back!
Amy, I did use Recuva. Love it!
just read your fakebook entry. No wonder I couldn't find you :) I wanted to email you something and I can't find your info on your blog either. can you email me your address? rwattson218atgmaildotcom.
glad you found a recovery of most-
I've been there as well- no fun-DAD
Post a Comment