Monday, May 23, 2011

Vanity

When it comes to running, I am extremely vain. I wonder how I look to other people. Does it look like I'm going fast or slow? Do I make it look easy or can they tell I'm huffing and puffing? Do I look determined or do I make weird faces? Can they smell my B.O? Can they tell I didn't shave my legs?

I prefer people not watch me run. I feel like my privacy is invaded. My running time is my me time. It was impossible to be alone while running in Provo, but I got spoiled here in Arizona. Very few people are up early here on campus, especially in the heat. The worst is sharing the track. If people drive, walk, or ride by, no big deal, though I'm still self-conscious. But when others are running or walking, I tense. In addition to my vanity, I get a little competitive with runners close to my pace. And then I wonder if they notice I've quickened my pace. And if they did notice, I wonder if they've quickened theirs too. Yeah, I'm crazy. Vanity makes you think and do silly things. What brings out your vanity?

3 comments:

Mary Killion said...

I feel like that when I'm taking the girls out for a walk when they're in the double stroller. I defintely huff and puff when I push that thing uphill--and all the walking trails in our neighborhood are next to the main road, so a ton of cars pass--and I'll straighten my back/correct mt posture and make it look like it's no big deal. HAHA!

Unknown said...

hahaha I do that too! haha too funny.

Lissy said...

This made me laugh. I can relate - I don't get competitive in that way but I hate exercising in front of people, or putting on make-up...you know how you find yourself making stupid faces. I am too self-conscious for my own good - so I can be pretty shy a lot of the time.