Whenever I go to the store, it amazes--and slightly disgusts--me what I see in people's shopping carts. No wonder Americans suffer from obesity and a cartload of other health issues! On a typical shopping day, not when I'm restocking shelves or grabbing something I need for a specific recipe, this is what is in my shopping cart:
- 100% whole wheat bread (Nature's Pride is my favorite)
- mild cheddar cheese
- nonfat milk (though Justin prefers 1%)
- instant brown rice
- white rice (long-grain and Asian)
- fresh fruits and vegetables, including salad and lots of onions (we put them in everything)
- frozen vegetables
- non-sugary whole grain cereals (such as Corn Chex)
- water bottles
- orange juice, with pulp
- pasta (not whole wheat)
- nuts, sometimes raw, sometimes roasted and salted
- Kashi granola bars
- spaghetti sauce
Other foods I frequently purchase: chicken, eggs, corn and flour tortillas, canned tuna or salmon, macaroni and cheese, Progresso soups in winter, Campbell condensed soups, chicken broth, canned beans, salsa, sour cream, yogurt, Mighty Mango Naked juice, ground beef, smoked sausage, tofu, canned pineapple, canned olives, mozzarella cheese, peanut butter, jelly, crushed garlic, soy sauce, tortilla chips, flour, sugar, popcorn, raisins and other dried fruit, potatoes (Idaho, red, or sweet), hummus, and plain old-fashioned oatmeal. As you can see, we don't buy much packaged/snack food. When we do get junk food, it's usually Double-Stuf Oreos or ice cream/popsicles. Sometimes Justin will buy himself soda. And every few months we'll bake cookies or brownies. What's in your shopping cart on a typical trip to the supermarket? What junk foods do you buy?
p.s. Just because we don't buy or make lots of junk food, doesn't mean we're really healthy either! We buy desserts at fast food places or restaurants a couple times a month. And this doesn't include all the goodies at ward activities, baby showers and other parties, friends' houses, holidays, etc.
2 comments:
I love looking at people's carts and guessing how it reflects on their life.
Typical weekly cart: bananas, apples, cilantro, parsley, spinach, kale, celery, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes (specific other vegges/fruit that may be on sale), chicken, eggs, whole wheat bread.
There is obviously more that we buy in bulk or don't get every week: hot sauce, white or brown rice, pasta, shrimp, peanut butter, jelly, etc. etc. etc.
HOWEVER, once every couple months we have a junk food night - dun dun dun. It's so funny, we always see the same lady - she must wonder how we are so small. She knows our names though - she's pretty awesome! On junk food night, I buy Ruffles Cheddar and Sour cream chips or white cheddar popcorn and red vines. Oscar buys Sour Patch candies or M&Ms.
It's funny though, we've gotten better over the years. I used to get a WHOLE bag of chips, now I get the snack sized ones.
We aren't perfect either - at all!! Oscar likes Hansen's soda too and we both CRAVE In N' Out. My body likes to save a lot more of those calories than it used to though, so I have to be more careful.
Happy Shopping!
We buy pretty similar things. Our splurge item is usually Simply Orange orange juice and grandma sycamore bread.
I especially hated going shopping for ward activities! I always wondered what the cashier thought of me as I bought giant sized everything!
Post a Comment