Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Sweet Surprise

On Justin's day off we usually go to a mall and look around. We rarely buy anything since we have little money, but there is the occasional need. For example, I have been looking for a simple black cardigan for the past two years, something to wear to church or other cold indoor places when it's otherwise warm. The black sweater I currently have is too bulky for summer and the hood makes it casual (and annoying), though I still wear it to church because it's my only option. I've been unlucky in my search for a new one. What I look for: light, fitted, preferably 3/4 or short sleeves, simple or no embellishments, reasonable price. What I find: thick, too big sizes, long sleeves, large and loud embellishments or grandma styles, expensive prices. Two years ago, I did find a black and a white cardigan on clearance at Papaya for $5 each. I didn't buy them and now regret it.

Yesterday we went to a new mall and I searched yet again, not expecting to find anything. We went into LOFT, one of my favorite stores, and were immediately helped. The sales lady asked what I was looking for and I told her. She came back with something that worked ok, but it had long sleeves, didn't come in my size, and wasn't available in black in petites. She seemed as desperate to make a sale as I was to find something, so she kept looking. She returned with the same style but with short sleeves and in my size. It fit nicely and looked cute. But I knew LOFT prices. It was $45 plus tax--too much for that little bit of fabric and buttons. Justin and I agreed to think about it. Too bad it wasn't my birthday.

We left the store and I actually started to cry. It had gotten to the point that I just wanted the search to be over, and it could have been. But I am always the frugal one. I will not spend over a certain amount of money on something, even if it is a need and not a want. I sniffled to Justin, "It sucks to be poor."

We headed to Motherhood Maternity so I could nurse Caden. Justin waited outside on the leather couches. He came back to get something from the stroller, taking it out of the dressing room instead of coming inside to retrieve what he needed. Fishy, I thought. Then I heard a noise I shouldn't have heard: the crinkly rustle of a plastic bag.

I came out and saw a corner of the familiar clear LOFT gift bag sticking out of the stroller. But I didn't say anything. I wanted to see how Justin would play it out. I changed Caden's diaper, asking Justin to get the diaper bag from the stroller and giving it back to him to put away while I washed my hands. When I came out, the LOFT bag was completely hidden.

We went on our way and Justin brought up the cardigan: "You know, $45 is too expensive. We probably shouldn't get it."

I couldn't help but start smiling and gave myself away. "You're a terrible liar," I said.

"What are you talking about?" Justin replied, but he was already smiling back.

"I know you got the cardigan. I heard the bag when you came back." Then I hugged and kissed him endlessly to show him my gratitude for what he did. Justin knows I normally would not approve, so he usually does not buy something anyway, but he could tell this was important to me. What a sweetheart!

*Photo coming soon!*

3 comments:

Alex said...

Cute, what a sweet husband!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

Love this story, too cute!