Monday, May 31, 2010

Let Me Explain

I know the title of my last post probably got some of you wondering what was the big deal. I HATE bugs with a passion. Always have, always will. Some are just a nuisance, others are plain gross, and even others are scary. The bug I faced this morning was all three.

When we first moved here, it took me forever just to kill a cricket. I used to trap them and then have Justin kill them when he got home. The first time I had to kill one, I freaked out, called Justin, and cried hysterically because it was ginormous and wouldn't get sucked up the vacuum (old, handheld one). Then I progressed to calmly smashing them with a shoe and letting Justin clean them up (I don't like to touch them even when they're dead).

The king of all bugs (I even hate to say its name) has appeared in our house a few times. Luckily, when I come across one, it's either already dead or Justin is home to rescue me. This morning it finally happened: the faceoff between me and said bug--alone. Naturally, I freaked out even worse than during the cricket experience. Like, someone-died or I-saw-Frankenstein kind of hysterical. I called Justin up and bawled my eyes out. I trapped the huge bug under a small trash can after a frightening chase, while screaming into poor Justin's ear. Justin was super understanding and supportive during the whole ordeal. It took me like an hour and several more phone calls from Justin to finally calm down. The bug stayed there until about an hour ago, when Justin was able to take care of it.

I know I sound ridiculous and crazy and wimpy. But just imagine facing your worst fear alone for the first time!

5 comments:

Ashley Deskins said...

oh i know your pain! i hate them too! glad to know i'm not the only one that traps bugs under things until my hubby gets home to get rid of them. the whole cockroach thing happened a few weeks ago to me. i saw it and seriously it was the biggest one i had ever seen in my life! i tried to gather up my courage, but failed miserably and after not being able to figure out where it was after it ran away from me for the hundredth time i called jeff completely hysterical. so next time there's a bug problem and our hubbys aren't home we'll call each other and freak out together!

Brenden+Nikki said...

ha ha I can't help but laugh. I really do think it's part of an initiation process of living out there. Don't worry - I had a nervous hysterical, tear-filled meltdown and my husband was even home. I think I told you that story.

Just wait til baby gets here. Something comes over you I think. Because if you saw one of those crawling towards the baby you'd probably kill the nasty insect bare-handed. Or fly through the air - snatch up baby- and run out the door. Either one would be interesting to witness :).

Cindy said...

I TOTALLY understand!!!! http://caseyandcindy.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-cindy-needs-skinny-jeans.html

Lissy said...

I have to say... Brenden+Nikki's comment cracked me up. That is so true about the mother instinct. You will find yourself dealing with things that disgust and scare you in ways you never would have before for the sake of your baby!

Mrs. Sanchez said...

awww, poor Cheski!!! Well, I'm glad you got through it and survived. Seriously, darn bugs should just KNOW to stay out of your house.

Glad to hear others have had similar experiences. Once when in the shower in SB, a bunch of termites came falling out of the ceiling or something. There was definitely screaming and crying and I didn't want to walk anywhere or touch anything. I felt like they were crawling on me. It was horrible and my poor roommates witnessed the insanity.

Yuck!! I'm glad you survived. In the future, I heard about Diatomaceous Earth keeping ants out of the house. And I think it works on other bugs too like cockroaches, fleas and beatles(I don't think spiders). It's microscopic fossilized water plans.

"To insects DE is a lethal dust with microscopic razor sharp edges. These sharp edges cut through the insect's protective covering drying it out and killing them when they are either dusted with DE or if it applied as a wettable powder spray. If they ingest the DE it will shred their insides."

ok, that's a lot of info :) GOOD LUCK!!