Friday, February 5, 2010

Little Heartbeat

We heard the baby's heartbeat this morning. It made up for all the rest of the day. This morning was terrible. I had a sleepless, uncomfortable night, and immediately upon waking up, I began puking. All morning. I tried eating a banana on the way to the medical center, and up came those few bites right away (Rachel Wattson, you were right about bananas not coming back up badly). I felt so awful the whole time.

I weighed in a lot less than I thought. My whole midsection is definitely fatter (not pregnant belly, just padding), yet I only gained 3 pounds. Next the nurse got my hopes up about not getting a pap smear, but she was wrong. I've only had one before, which was uncomfortable, but this time it hurt! Then we had to wait forever for my nausea medication refill. Breakfast at IHOP (I tested a few slices of bread first before deciding to eat) and a nap in the waiting area helped the time go by a little faster.

Before all that drama was the special moment. The midwife asked me if my tears were from emotion or nausea; I said nausea. I started to calm down once she began searching for the heartbeat. Since we're unsure of how far along I am, she said not to worry if we didn't hear anything this time. I almost gave up hope, when suddenly we heard the most wondrous sound in the world! We recorded it on our cell phones (unfortunately, I don't know how to transfer the sound file to the computer). It was so exciting! My tears were gone, and I couldn't stop smiling and listening to the tiny, fast heart beating inside me. It made my pregnancy a little more real. Now I can't wait for my ultrasound next month!

7 comments:

Sonja said...

That's always an exciting moment. I can still remember (after all these years, ha) the nausea. I was working at a store the size of Walmart but in a dept. clear across the building from where the restroom was. I worked 40-48 hrs a week and it was such a challenge to get to the other side of the building. However, I must say with the second child, never threw up one time. So have faith! And this too shall pass!

Lissy said...

How exciting! I always looked forward to those visits and the ultrasounds. It was such a relief to have that confirmation that everything was going ok and yes, I really was pregnant. Though I'm sure you can't forget it right now the way you are feeling. Hope it gets better soon!

Chris and Carrie Elmore said...

I am sorry you have been so sick! I can't wait to hear more about your baby! Congrats!

Brenden+Nikki said...

aw that is the BEST! I love that sound. And it's so reassuring. It took 3 nurses to find Collin's heartbeat the first time and I was FREAKING out inside. So I'm glad you didn't have to go through that since you already had a crappy morning :). I hope this sickness passes soon for you!

I really do think you might have a little girl on your hands....or in your belly....you know what I mean :).

Anonymous said...

a heartbeat a life -reminds me of
John 16: 21
21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.

DAD

J&J said...

This is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you and Justin!! :)

J&J said...

This is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you and Justin!! :)