The thing pregnancy has wacked out the most is my eating habits. Things I used to like eating I no longer like: all meat, fast food, anything potato, mixed vegetables (especially corn), cheese, tomato products (I can eat spaghetti sauce, but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to), garlic, peanut butter, chocolate, and snack foods. On the other hand, things I eat more of (and enjoy, as opposed to just eating because it calms my stomach, like saltines) are egg salad sandwiches, fruit (particularly canned peaches), macaroni and cheese, homemade tacos (meatless, of course) and yogurt. Also, I'm enjoying shrimp again and non-chocolate candy, which I normally never eat.
The thing I hate the most about pregnancy right now is my heightened sense of smell. Just opening up the fridge or walking into the kitchen makes me gag sometimes. Odors seem to linger longer and gross me out days later. Unfortunately, it also keeps me from cleaning, except doing laundry, to rid of these odors. The best I can do right now is open the tiny window vents; even air fresheners make me sick.
The thing I can't wait for most is to start showing. I feel like a liar when I tell people I'm pregnant. Right now I just feel fat, because my tummy is bloated all over; it's not a cute little bump or anything. Other areas are getting a little pudgy too. I need to exercise again!
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I read that sometimes the first pregnancy brings with is more of an aversion to smells and tastes...this was certainly true for me...when I was pregnant the first time, I was much more sensitive to some smells and tastes. The second pregnancy I was still nauseated and such, but not so sensitive to some smells etc. Hopefully that gives you some hope for future pregnancies! No matter how hard it is, it is SO worth it to hold that perfect little baby in your arms!
I didn't really have a heightened sense of smell at all but I definitely had more food aversions than cravings. The two things that grossed me out the most were jelly and ham. I couldn't even think of ham without gagging and I still don't really like jelly anymore. I also never craved chocolate so I rarely ate it when pregnant which is VERY abnormal. And in the flip side I LOVED salad peppers (pepper rings). I put them on EVERYTHING. And I do mean everything.
That's so interesting what our bodies do while pregnant.
I'm glad you're writing all this down. It will be fun for you to go back and read a year from now.
Oh and I was always excited to show too. I popped out all of a sudden around 16 weeks. I bet you'll do the same since you're little like me!
I agree, it is weird. Suddenly, you have absolutely NO control over your body! With Jack, I got heartburn if I ate saltines, it was miserable. And I still can't eat the things I didn't like when I was pregnant with him. With this baby, I have to have flavor. Saltines make me more nauseous. Anything sour helps. Weird huh? Hope you get to feeling better soon. Don't worry, you'll show soon enough. And then you won't be able to breathe! ha!
I couldn't really eat meat much during my pregnancies either. But I LOVED cheese and chocolate, couldn't get enough of them! And the smells thing is always really strong for me too.
Pregnancy is definitely weird. Just wait til you start seeing elbows and heels doing a tango in your tummy! I remember wanting fruit and powdered donuts more, and not being able to eat as much as I normally do. Hot chocolate was the only thing I remember really making me sick, but I avoided spicier foods too. I have a sensitive nose already, but pregnancy made it more so. I can't wait to see your cute bump either, it'll probably take a few months! I'm thinking about you, hope you are feeling good! Don't put off anything you feel anywhere near up to doing now til the baby is born. I totally thought I'd have some time to sew & stuff while Lily slept because newborns sleep a ton, right? Not necessarily. :)
hope the freakiness wears off but you will laugh later on about the things you are going through and the baby will make you forget the difficult times-DAD
Post a Comment