Thursday, December 29, 2011

Home for the Holidays

Thanksgiving

I actually helped with the turkey this year, but I'm still too scared to do it all. Adam and Kirsten joined us and brought yummy apple caramel pie. The boys played a lot of Settlers of Catan. Dad and I tied in Scrabble, with Constance not far behind. Mom and I scored thrift store shopping as usual. Caden went for a swim with Grandpa and enjoyed the hot tub with Daddy (no worries, only his legs were in for a few minutes to warm him up after the cool-night swim).




Pre-Christmas Activities

The ward party was alright. We only stayed for the food. We didn't feel like doing Santa this year, although Caden probably wouldn't have cried. I went to an ugly ornament exchange with Kirsten. It was really fun. I love our girls' nights out!

We finally put up our tree the week before Christmas. Of course, Caden was interested in taking everything down, so we put all the ornaments high up. That along with the carpet being uneven, our tree looks funny.


Justin's work party was better this year. We left Caden with a sitter and he did great. The food was delicious. There was music, and after much begging, Justin danced with me. Adam danced one samba with me. We didn't win any raffle prizes at the party for the second year in a row. Adam won headphones.

Caden got sick. Another double ear infection. Worse than last time, because he woke up every hour or less for a few nights in a row. Needless to say, I was a very cranky zombie mom. Then he reacted to the antibiotics and we had to go back to the ER on Christmas Eve to check it out and switch meds.


Christmas Eve night we saw the lights and nativities at the Mesa Temple/Visitor's Center with Adam and Kirsten. We never go at the right time for the concerts; we're usually too early or too late. Caden had fun walking up and down the stairs. Afterward we went to Adam and Kirsten's for dinner (or breakfast, really) with the missionaries and exchanged gifts. They got me A Muppet Christmas Carol, a family tradition which I missed. (We got them their Christmas tree and some ornaments in November).



Christmas Day

Christmas morning Caden ran straight to the little armchair we bought him.


We spoiled him this year, though besides the chair I only spent $25 on him--everything was secondhand. He got bath toys, a truck, 3 puzzles, tons of books, and a riding car/walker. The car is his favorite. He got toys, clothes, books, and stuffed animals from family and friends. He got to open those with Grandma and Keilani watching via Skype on Adam's laptop. He wasn't too into unwrapping, but he did help clean it up.



Justin's favorite present from me. Caden thinks it's funny and loves to retrieve the darts.

The biggest surprise for us was a present from Justin's parents: an XBOX 360 and Kinect. I'm really excited about the Kinect; Justin and I love playing it at Best Buy. However, Justin and I still need to discuss rules and allowed games. We also got a lot of money from family and Justin's clients and are saving it for a new TV.

new church clothes from Adam & Kirsten


After presents was church for a *cough* unique Christmas program. Then we all napped. Kirsten and Adam came over. I made lasagna for the first time for dinner and it came out great! We had cheesecake for dessert. The others watched the Packers game. We watched A Muppet Christmas Carol here and there throughout the night.





I think everyone was very happy with their presents and had a good time.

4 comments:

Stephanie Shumway said...

Wha????? what what what what what???!?!? Why was the Christmas Sunday sacrament program *cough* unique???? I'm dying here!!! Dang us going out of town when interesting things are afoot! I love that you covered a month of festivities in one post. that's the way to do it.

Kirsten said...

It was a wonderful Holiday season! Can't wait for new year's with you!

Anonymous said...

wish we were all together- thanks for the pictures of everyone with their hair-DAD

Mrs. Sanchez said...

Looks like a good holiday! I'm glad Caden was better for Christmas.