Friday, June 17, 2011

Hives Are for Bees, Not Me

I returned to the ER yesterday because Wednesday night I had trouble swallowing and Thursday I couldn't breathe in deeply. My hives were not improving either. This time they gave me an IV drip instead of injecting the medicine right into the IV needle. They also gave me an epinephrin shot. That was not fun! My heart was racing, my body was jumpy, and I was breathing even more shallow. I had to stay longer, so Justin took Caden shopping at Dick's while I got some rest. The medics taking care of me this time did not believe the detergent was the culprit because my reaction would have been different. (What?! You mean I rewashed all my laundry for nothing?) So the doctor also prescribed me antibiotics in case it is a bacterial infection.

My prescriptions took forever at Wal-mart and I was feeling awful all evening. That night, I had to call Justin home right when he got to the church for basketball so he could help me with Caden, who would not stay asleep. We finally got him down, Justin left, and I went to sleep. Caden didn't wake up until a quarter to one. I nursed him, put him back in the crib on the first try, and slept until 5:30 (out of habit), though Caden didn't wake up until 6. He has never only woken up once! Miracle of miracles and many prayers answered. I am feeling so much better and my hives are starting to fade. They're completely gone from my face. I hope this recovery continues!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your severe allergic reaction can be a combination of the detergent and something else. After I had Ollie I discovered I was allergic to flax seed oil among other random food articles. You having the difficulty breathing and swallowing sounds like a food allergy symptom that combine with the irritant of the detergent to make the hives flare up all over again. Look at the recent purchases you have made food wise and make an appointment for an allergy scratch test right away. Good luck and I hope you continue to heal without further incident:)

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better! I love you very much! You will always be in our prayers. Remember to keep on striving and the Lord will help you along the way.

Constance

Becky said...

No fun! I hope it is going away. I had the hives bad on my mission twice and for sure both times it was from the detergent. Even if the clothes washed in it don't touch your whole body hives spread anyway. If that's not the cause I hope you find out so you don't have to go through this again!

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

my goodness, I just had to go to the ER on Monday night for really bad hives also. The terrible thing is I have no idea what the allergic reaction is too. I have to go see a doctor soon to get tested soon because if I don't take my medicine then a hive pops up. Good luck with your case!