I've got serious jealousy issues right now. Sometimes I feel like a failure. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to. I know I should just do something about it instead, but I don't know what to do.
I think the first thing to do is sit down and make a physical list of things you are good at. Even if it's just something like making Caden smile - write down things you're good at! Then, stop exposing yourself to whatever it is you're jealous of (e.g. skinny models in magazines, rich brats on tv, going over to someone's house that's unreasonably clean, etc.) UNLESS it's a good thing, like reading your scriptures more or crafts and hobbies. In that case, just ask the person you're "jealous" of (I don't think it's really jealousy so much as admiration!) how they do it and how you can do it too! But, as we all know, admitting you have a problem is the first step! Good luck... jealousy almost destroyed my relationship with Adam a few years ago so I'm glad I was able to kick it! (Well, at least most of it.)
Thank you for an honest (albeit vague) post. Girl, you are awesome and remember there are seasons for everything! Whatever it is that you want that you don't have, if it is a good thing, keep thinking (in positive ways) about it and it will come. If it doesn't, you're better off without it <3 you!
OH man! I'm the same way. I have that problem too. Normally what I have to do is just leave the thing that's making me feel that way and move onto something else. For example, the other day I watched The Royal Wedding on Hulu..afterwards I was so down on myself because I felt I wasn't as beautiful as Kate. That seems to be the thing that happens most often. So anyways, I just decided to forget about it and do things that make me feel good about myself. I'm currently working on self-discipline with a problem I've had a long time (getting to bed early!), so getting up early to go running and getting to bed early has been helping me to forget about what I felt before. That would be my advice to you--find something to work on, that will boost your own self confidence.
4 comments:
I think the first thing to do is sit down and make a physical list of things you are good at. Even if it's just something like making Caden smile - write down things you're good at! Then, stop exposing yourself to whatever it is you're jealous of (e.g. skinny models in magazines, rich brats on tv, going over to someone's house that's unreasonably clean, etc.) UNLESS it's a good thing, like reading your scriptures more or crafts and hobbies. In that case, just ask the person you're "jealous" of (I don't think it's really jealousy so much as admiration!) how they do it and how you can do it too! But, as we all know, admitting you have a problem is the first step! Good luck... jealousy almost destroyed my relationship with Adam a few years ago so I'm glad I was able to kick it! (Well, at least most of it.)
Thank you, Sarah!
Thank you for an honest (albeit vague) post. Girl, you are awesome and remember there are seasons for everything! Whatever it is that you want that you don't have, if it is a good thing, keep thinking (in positive ways) about it and it will come. If it doesn't, you're better off without it <3 you!
OH man! I'm the same way. I have that problem too. Normally what I have to do is just leave the thing that's making me feel that way and move onto something else. For example, the other day I watched The Royal Wedding on Hulu..afterwards I was so down on myself because I felt I wasn't as beautiful as Kate. That seems to be the thing that happens most often. So anyways, I just decided to forget about it and do things that make me feel good about myself. I'm currently working on self-discipline with a problem I've had a long time (getting to bed early!), so getting up early to go running and getting to bed early has been helping me to forget about what I felt before. That would be my advice to you--find something to work on, that will boost your own self confidence.
Post a Comment