Today we went back to the Medical Center to pick up my prescriptions and get my lab tests done (the midwife didn't recomment I do it the first day since I was feeling so sick). First I had to drink a cup of oh-so-yummy-NOT fruit punch syrup for a glucola test. For my ladies who have never been pregnant, just a warning: it tastes like straight-up snow cone syrup, three times as concentrated and sweet. I felt like throwing up but kept it down for the necessary hour. In the meantime we picked up the prescriptions (prenatal vitamins, calcium, vitamin B to help prevent nausea, and two nausea medications) and browsed Goodwill down the street. Once back, the lab nurse started pulling out a million viles.
"How much blood are you going to take?" I asked her in disbelief.
"Well, we're doing a full prenatal screening."
Wonderful. Suck the life support out of my little body. And better yet, she had to prick me twice because I wasn't giving her enough blood the first time. And I hate how incredibly tight all nurses tie the rubber band around my arm! Sometimes that hurts more than the needle does. Fortunately, after the blood sucking was over, all I had left was a urine sample and then we left. Needless to say, I still feel gross from the fruit punch and I have a small bruise on my arm.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ouch. I want to have babies someday but am NOT excited about the whole process!
Wow, that sounds pretty harsh. My glucose drink was like super sweet orange soda. I don't remember my tests being that bad. Maybe it's part of that whole mother memory cycle. Well, hopefully you won't have to drink that stuff again. The best thing for nausea is to keep food on your stomach, smaller meals more often, and keep hydrated. If I felt sick or weak, which I luckily wasn't too much it always turned out to be lack of water. But don't let me annoy you with advice - everybody is different. Thinking and praying for you!
Pregnancy is NO fun! When I was pregnant with Tyson, I had a lot of complications and after being poked and prodded so many times, I finally got used to it and now when they pull out the 6-7 viles, I don't even blink ;). I had the orange soda too and it's not too bad (considering!)
Yeah, all the blood draws and needles are definitely one of the WORST things about being pregnant and labor, too. But you should at least be grateful if you pass the glucose test! I passed fine with Kirsten, but with Natalie I had to go back and take the three hour test. You drink the stuff twice, sit there for three hours in the doctor's office, and they draw all that blood FOUR times. It's torture!
Post a Comment