Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Library and the Lord

Oh, how I miss BYU and its five-story library from heaven. Or the wonderful, friendly San Marcos library. The campus library here has only two bookcases of children's fiction. The nearest public library is twenty minutes away and everything is always checked out. I can never get the book I want!

Today we went to return some books. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to reread all the Harry Potter books. If I were in San Marcos or Provo, I would have succeeded by now, not only because of the better libraries, but also because friends would have lent the books to me. Anyway, it took me forever to lay hold of book 2. Today I searched for book 3, which I had put on hold but which they cancelled for reasons unknown to me. I searched for an Agatha Christie book, And Then There Were None, to no avail. I was extremely frustrated and felt like I had wasted my time. I only checked out one book, The Westing Game, a childhood favorite.

Before leaving, we checked out the little used bookstore in the library. I glanced through the portable shelves first and found nothing. Then I looked through the bookcases and saw the mystery section. Lo and behold, what did I find? Two copies of And Then There Were None! I kept browsing and moved to the children's section. What was there? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! And the best part? I spent $1.50 total.

First of all, I wonder why they don't take some of these donated books and make them into library books, especially the Harry Potter ones since they are high in demand. Second, was this not a tender mercy of the Lord, that the very two books I so desperately wanted I found in the bookstore? I wanted to buy the Agatha Christie one anyway. I always look for her mysteries in thrift stores, and this copy was much cheaper than any I have bought at a thrift store--only fifty cents! The Harry Potter book was only a dollar, so even if in the future I buy the complete set brand new, it's no big deal and I can always resell it.

What a blessing for me today!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, I read And Then There Were None when I was really young and LOVED it! I'm glad you found such a great deal!

Mrs. Sanchez said...

I agree that it is interesting that they were selling the copies instead of keeping them. But, YAY for Cheski! I agreed DEF a blessing and just too good to be an accident.

Love it!! May God keep blessing you in the little ways, so that you know you are NEVER alone.

And duh, I'll be with you and your husband, family, friends, etc. :) But, having God on your side is so much better.

as you know. hmmm, I'm just going on and on. I'll stop........NOW

Ashley said...

That is a great deal, wow!!!
Come enter some of the fun giveaways I've got going on my blog. :)