Saturday, February 14, 2009

Spontaneity

Last week for work we had to make a goals poster with work, personal, and fantasy goals. One of my fantasy goals was to get a new hairstyle. Why a fantasy goal? Because every time I say I'm going to do it, it never quite happens like I want it to. I think it's because I go to cheap places instead of real salons.

Anyway, on Friday (last week) somehow the conversation of my hair came up. My coworker Briana was sharing what she thought would look good on me. (She's really into fashion and grooming.) Bill, my manager, joined in as well (he's gay). They both said a dramatic A-line would look great and maybe some highlights, which I didn't want. Bill then told me to have my hair cut by Monday morning. I told him I didn't have any money! He hadn't paid me yet!

"Ok, well, if you go get your hair cut right now I will pay for it," he offered.

"Are you serious or are you joking?" I wanted to make sure he wasn't kidding, making me dish out $50 for my hair.

"I'm serious. If you go downstairs and they can get you an appointment right now then I will go down there and pay for it."

"Ok! Briana, go with me." Who would turn that down?

All in a whirlwind, Briana grabbed my hand and pulled me to the salon downstairs, Zolton's. I told her to do all the talking because I could never quite explain what I wanted. Zolton's had an appointment open! The lady who cut my hair was from Salt Lake (not LDS, though) and had been cutting hair for 15 years. She was great. She cut it exactly the way Briana told her and even added layers so I could part my hair different ways. True to his word, Bill came down when I was done and paid for it. He later admitted the real reason he was so willing to pay was that he was sick of seeing me wear a ponytail or my hair half up everyday. He said that now I look more professional.

During the cut, Briana joked--or so I thought--about getting a new outfit. I agreed that eventually I would. But when we were done, she dragged me to the boutique next door for some shopping. I didn't argue because I knew it was expensive so I would not be tempted to buy a $144 jean jacket or whatever else. But the store was closing and everything was 60 percent off. I looked at the $40 rack and found a dress. I tried it on and oh no! I fell in love. So against better judgment I bought it. (A picture of it will be in an upcoming blog.)

When I got back upstairs everyone was waiting to see my new hairstyle and they all loved it. So do I. Thanks, Bill and Briana!

Note: The following pictures are not from the day I got my haircut. I forgot to take a picture right away, so my hair does not look as nice as it did that night.













6 comments:

Mrs. Sanchez said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Love the story & the spontaneity, and the HAIR. It always looks better when they style it. I def. think it looks more professional and it sounds great that you can part it in different ways. Yah, it looks really healthy and good. YAY CHESKI!!! And it was FREE and exciing. AND you got a new dress which we will be waiting for you to post. LOVE you girl!! *MWAH*

Arica said...

i like it. :) it suits you well.

Julie said...

SUPER CUTE!! I love having short hair vs. long hair. Easier to do, you use less shampoo, etc. It looks great on you! I wish I had a boss to pay for my hair cuts! Lucky you.

Mary Killion said...

Check you out chica! It looks fabulous!!! But then again, what doesn't look fabulous on you? :)

AesaLina Compton said...

OOOOOOOO i love it!!

Ashley said...

CUTE haircut! I like it a lot!