Thursday, October 27, 2011

First Birthday Party

The first Saturday in September was Caden's first birthday party. My mom and sister came earlier in the week and my dad drove up for the weekend. We invited some families from church. It was a simple party: food, balloons, presents, and cupcakes and ice cream. The theme was monsters: I bought the tablecloth and plates for 97 cents each at Wal-mart and made construction-paper monsters to put on the walls. Caden's outfit says "Daddy's little monster."


I made cupcakes and frosting from scratch. I rarely bake, and usually from a box, so this was a huge step for me. The cupcakes were dense and the frosting was too sweet. Still, I was very proud of myself!


Caden wasn't too fond of his cupcake. I forced some in his mouth, but he didn't like it. I can't complain about having a baby who doesn't like sweets. That's fine with me!


We got him him the hammer and nails and a felt toolbelt with tools from IKEA. He got lots of toys from my parents, lots of clothes from all Justin's family, and books, a DVD, and clothes from his friends.

4 comments:

Julie said...

He's getting so big! I love IKEA!! We lived only 15 min from one in Portland....now it's 4 hours away. Happy Birthday, Caden!

Lissy said...

I probably should have made sweeter frosting Lily's 1st birthday...maybe she would have balked! I went for cream cheese frosting because she wasn't used to sweets and she was all over it and crazy about them now :( What can I expect though? I had a major sweet tooth as a kid :) I can still remember her face after the first taste. Caden is so handsome! Happy Late Birthday, little guy!

Miss Keesh said...

There's something about frosting recipes being too sweet- the first time I made frosting it was way way WAY too sweet too! Oh well, it's called experimenting right... Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CADEN! Kisses and Hugs

Anonymous said...

sweetness and cuteness-DAD