
Wow. I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I am completely overcome. It was not my first time reading it, but it felt like it. The first time I did not like it, did not fully appreciate it, and I don't know why. This time I was very emotionally involved: the power of the story's end, of the mysteries unveiled, of the character development pierced me. J. K. Rowling is a powerful writer to be able to do that to a reader, especially a veteran one. She is almost as high as Agatha Christie in brilliance (those who know my admiration for Christie is almost idol worship will understand what a compliment that is). And on a side note, I also really like the cover art of the series.
Words are truly powerful. The gift of verbal and written expression is often taken for granted. Growing up with a linguistically minded mother and studying the English language in college, I have come to deeply respect and appreciate words and their power. They can be used for great good or great evil, to inspire or instill fear, as expressions of love or hatred.
The power of the written word is amazing--reminds me of Inkheart, where such power is displayed (great movie, by the way). We all have heard that books can take us to another world, but how many of us truly have experienced it? I did for the past few weeks rereading the Harry Potter books, especially the last one. It is an exhilarating, and sometimes overwhelming, experience, one not easily described to those who have not felt it. It is feeling like the book is almost reality: your heart pumps in fear and suspense and excitement at events that seem to be happening around you, the characters become real people with whom you connect and understand deeply, you feel such strong emotions as if the joys and sorrows were real, the end of the book leaves a strong longing and sadness because the adventure is over. Imagination is a powerful thing (another reminder: Bridge to Terabithia).
Not all books do this to the reader or do this at the same level. Many books I have reread a hundred times no longer hold the same magic they did when I was younger. On the other hand, some hold stronger magic for me rereading them now that I'm older, because I finally understand and appreciate things I didn't before. Other books simply leave me with contentment from pleasant reading, having no magic at all. Reading the last Harry Potter book gave me an intense experience I haven't had in a long time, the closest, and yet still far, being an Agatha Christie book I reread recently. Has this ever happened to you?
Words are truly powerful. The gift of verbal and written expression is often taken for granted. Growing up with a linguistically minded mother and studying the English language in college, I have come to deeply respect and appreciate words and their power. They can be used for great good or great evil, to inspire or instill fear, as expressions of love or hatred.
Be careful with what you say, hear, and read. And enjoy wonderful words!

1 comment:
I have never read Agatha Christie, and now I think I'll have to run over to the library to pick out one of her books! What do you suggest I start with first?
I just finished reading the Harry Potter books too! Man I love them and I could read them all day, every day. They are awesome!
As English/Elang majors, we know the power of words--go us! ;)
Post a Comment